Jumbla’s passion for design driven storytelling and innovative application of live-action, design and animation techniques deliver breakthrough experiences for advertising and digital media communications.
And now Melbourne’s best creative studio is launching the industry’s best internship program for aspiring animators and motion graphic artists!
Rubbing shoulders with some very skilled, easy-going dudes and learning the tricks of the trade on real client projects, Jumbla is Melbourne’s best place to develop your career and gain experience across a variety of mediums.
*Due to the number of applicants for the internship (about 50 per spot!) unfortunately we cannot get back to everyone. However please feel free to keep sending through your reel! The internship candidates who are successful in their application generally have outstanding showreels. So if you feel your reel needs work or are struggling to break into the biz, try Jumbla Academy. It’s designed to help you get your showreel to the next level and snag positions like this one!
- Interns must be available two days per week
- Up to four spots up for grabs per semester – get your folios in quick!
- First semester: Closed
- Second semester: May- July 2016
- Third semester: August – October 2016
- Fourth semester: November – January 2017
- Program runs for 12 weeks each semester
- Mentor = Mr. Josh Le Good and Mr Jeric Ilagan
- Week 1 – Style choice & character design
- Week 2 – Mood boards & style frames
- Week 3 – Storyboards & animatics
- Week 4 – Character rigging & asset creation
- Week 5 – Animation principals
- Week 6 – Animation
- Week 7 – Animation
- Week 8 – Animation
- Week 9 – Animation
- Week 10 – Animation feedback and review
- Week 11 – Animation revisions
- Week 12 – SFX
Jumbla’s internship program is designed to bridge the gap between university education and working studios. We dedicate our time to mentoring two interns each semester through our specially designed internship program. Interns are not used as slave labour to work on paid client projects, instead we guide you through a carefully formulated 12 week program that aims to build up your technical knowledge and speed. By the end of your program you’ll be ready to storm into an animation studio and start impressing your bosses on day one.
During your 12 week internship program, you’ll be working on a brief from an Australian charity organisation. It’s a win win situation… you get to work on a real client brief, and a charity gets a free video that they can use to build brand awareness and spread their important messages.
Here’s an example of the type of work you’ll be doing. This video was completed by Glen for the charity, FareShare, during the second semester 2015.
Is the internship paid?
No. We don’t put our interns on paid client projects. We hope by the end of the program you’ll be ready to work for us, or another animation and motion graphics studio, however we don’t make any money from your time here. Think of your Jumbla internship as a university subject…. but better because it’s free
What will I learn?
The internship program is designed to rapidly increase your skills in three main areas: speed, technical knowledge of key software, and working to a client brief.
Will I get a job at the end of it?
We hope so, but that depends on you. At the moment, about half of our interns land jobs with Jumbla at the end of their internship program. However, don’t think it’s a walk in the park. You’ll need to impress the pants off us with not only your motion graphics and animation aptitude, but also your work ethic, attitude and willingness to learn.
Is Jumbla a scary corporate office environment?
Hell no! Check out this blog post to learn a little more about our work place —-> http://jumbla.com.au/what-its-like-to-work-for-jumbla/
What is Jumbla looking for in intern candidates?
1. Solid work ethic and positive attitude are the most important candidate attributes. If you demonstrate a willingness to learn, work hard and hold yourself accountable to Jumbla’s standards, then you’ll go far here.
2. A good folio of work demonstrating a variety of work across different styles and disciplines. Think design, illustration, animation skills in different styles such as character, vector, 2D and 3D.
How can my charity get a video?
Please email email@example.com with the subject line ‘internship charity video’.
- Be mentored by industry best creative talent
- Participate in an internship program designed to teach you what you didn’t learn at Uni
- Experience what it’s like to work in a fast-paced motion graphics studio on real client projects
- Free beer, cookies, fruit and table tennis lesson
- Potential job at the end of it for the right candidate (no guarantees!)
- 6 out of the last 8 interns are now Jumbla employees!
Jumbla’s Selection Criteria
- Have excellent communication (verbal/written) skills
- Have excellent time management skills
- Respond well under pressure and deadlines
- Passionate, hungry, and energetic
- Great work ethic
- Ready to learn!
- Recent graduate or final year student
- Have a portfolio of outstanding work
- Create and execute projects from concept to completion, including storyboards, style frames and final design/animation
- Acute attention to detail, excellent design skills with the ability to work quickly and accurately
- Ability to articulate ideas and designs
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Sound knowledge of a PC work environment
How to Apply
Check out our website to learn about the type of work we do.
Please submit folios in a digital/online format along with a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write ‘intern’ in the subject line of your email application.
Only candidates that send a showreel will be considered.
You must be an Australian/NZ resident to be considered.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we can only respond to those candidates we wish to interview.